1. PARKING. Is parking available and is there a charge for parking?
Free parking is available at the library. Parking sometimes is crowded between 11:00 and 1:00 on the first day of the sale. Additional parking is available behind the Spruill Arts Center. No parking is permitted on Chamblee-Dunwoody Road.
2. MEMBERSHIP. Can I join the Friends of Dunwoody Library when the sale begins? Yes. You can join the Friends of the Dunwoody Library anytime, before the sale starts, during a sale, and after the sale. If the Membership Table is not open, just ask any book sale attendant for a membership form.
3. MEMBERSHIP TABLE. What function does the Membership Table perform?
A special membership table is open from 11:00 to 4:00 on the first day of each sale to help with new and renewed memberships and provide members with hand stamps and numbers to enable early entry during the first three hours of the sale.
4. LIBRARY CARDS. I have a library card. Is that the same as a membership in the Friends of the Dunwoody Library?
No. Library cards are issued at no charge to those who live in, or own a business in, DeKalb County. They enable cardholders to check out books and materials and access online library resources. Membership in the volunteer Friends of the Dunwoody Library is available to anyone; a range of annual dues options is available.
5. TICKETS. Do I need a ticket and where do I get one?
When the book sale first opens at 1:00 pm on Thursday, a large number of people are anxious to be among the first shoppers. The Membership Table issues sequential numbers (starting at 11:00 am) to identity a member's place in line or the Williams Room or the Children's Room. After about 15 minutes, there is no line to enter, and numbers are not required.
6. HAND STAMP. Why do I need to have an ink symbol stamped on the back of my hand?
Having your hand stamped with the ink symbol shows that you are a current member and permitted in the Williams Room and/or the Children's Room where the books are.After 4:00 P.M. on the first day of the sale until the end of the sale the following Monday, the public can enter the Williams Room and Children's Room without being a FODL member or needing a stamp on the back of their hand.
7. CARTS AND STROLLERS. Are carts and strollers allowed inside the sales area?
Carts or strollers are not allowed in the Williams Room or Children's Room at any time during the sale because of the narrow aisles and crowded conditions.
8. SCANNERS. Are scanners permitted in the sales area?
Scanners may not be used in the Williams Room during the 1:00 to 4:00 Friends Only shopping period because of the crowded conditions. Scanners may be used in the lobby and hallway during Friends Only shopping and anywhere after the sale is opened to the general public.
9. PAYMENTS. Can payment of a membership fee and books be paid with a credit card? What about a check?
Payment for books and/or membership can be with a check or cash. Credit cards are not accepted.
10. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. Where can I get additional information about the book sale and membership in the Friends of Dunwoody Library?